The Mandate of the Ministry is the formulation of policies and laws that regulate standards and services in the Information, Communication and Technology (ICT) sector, Telecommunications and the Media industry. It is also charged with the responsibility of developing and administering ICT standards, building capacity of mass media and ICT, and the dissemination of public information through the Sierra Leone Broadcasting Corporation (SLBC).
To live in a digitally inclusive society with synergy between the people and the State.
To develop and promote ICT growth and render effective information services to the Sierra Leone society.
FUNCTIONS OF THE MINISTRY
The function of the Ministry is executed by the two Directorates
Communications (ICT and Telecommunication)
Information – (Internal and External Information Services)
In fulfilling its core functions, and in light of prevailing environment, the Ministry has adopted the following policy priorities:
• Implementation of service charter
• Capacity building in the ICT sector
• Modernization of equipment
• Facilitation of the Development of knowledge based information society
• Continuous review of the legal framework
• Promotion of regional and international corporation in ICT issues
• Creation of employment through outsourcing of ICT services
• Periodically review and update National ICT policy to facilitate development of the ICT sector
• Curbing corruption.
• Accountability and transparency
• Equity and equality
• Professionalism and ethical practices
• Teamwork and passion for results
• Honesty and integrity
• Innovativeness and creativity
• Efficiency and effectiveness
This department has various divisions that include;- Administration, Human resources, Finance and Accounts; Internal Audit, Procurement, Strategic Communication/Outreach, Information Directorate and Directorate of Communications. These divisions perform different specialized duties that collectively ensure the smooth running of the Ministry.
DIRECTORATE OF INFORMATION SERVICES
The directorate of Information is responsible for: formulation, interpretation and implementation of information policies, strategies and programmes; Management of public information; branding, promotion and maintenance of positive image of the government both locally and internationally; Building of mutual relations between internal and external publics; Conducting information research and provision of appropriate strategies; advising on all matters relating to information services; cover development projects socio-economic and cultural activities in line with the constitution, the Sierra Leone National Medium-Term Development Plan 2018-2023, Vision 2030 and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs); The directorate also provides information that enhances security, peace and national cohesion; coordinating all information services locally and outside the country; gathers, packages, documentation and disseminate news and information. Additionally the Directorate is responsible for writing and /or translating articles and features; verifying the accuracy of the news; dispatching news to other media and maintaining an effective newsletter; digitizes and avails information to the citizenry on the Government Information Portal.
The Directorate supervises the following sectors:
• Sierra Leone Broadcasting Cooperation
• Right to Access Information Commission
• Sierra Leone News Agency (SLENA)
• Independent Media Commission (IMC)
• Sierra Leone Postal Services (SALPOST)
• Government Printers (GP)